Thursday, August 19, 2010

New or old? Does it matter?

Hi friends!

Recently there was a discussion on one of my favorite stamping message boards about using up your stash of retired paper that really got me thinking. I LOVE buying and using new paper (and stamps, and accessories, and punches, etc.) as much as the next stamper! But what sometimes happens, at least with me, is that we buy so much new stuff and our "old" stuff gets shoved to the back of the closet or underneath all the new stuff. I have unearthed what was "new stuff" not long ago which is now retired and I never even opened the package! Please tell me this happens to other people too! I'm not alone in this, right?

I have decided that I really need to use what I love and that means that sometimes I will be using retired product. Most of the cards and projects I make can be adapted to any paper or any embellishments anyway. And while I would LOVE to sell new products to you, I also want to encourage you to use what you have. Use it in a different way than you ever thought you would. Try some color combinations that you think don't "go". Use some stamp sets that are in the back of your closet and pair them with some of your newer sets. Have some fun! Plus, remember that you can get a great deal on some retired items by checking out the Clearance Rack in my online store (link to my store is on the right sidebar). Of course if you must buy some new things too I'll never tell!

Today I put my money where my mouth is and I present my own version of a "hybrid" card. Only instead of mine being a hybrid of traditional and digital cardmaking, they are hybrids of new and old product.

Both cards are very similar and were inspired by a great card artist, Vicki Burdick.

Stamps: Apple Blossoms (level 2 hostess set), Teeny Tiny Wishes
Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Cajun Craze, Very Vanilla
DSP: Fall Flowers (ret.)
Ink: Crumb Cake, Cajun Craze, Early Espresso
Punches: Large corner rounder (ret), Spiral Punch
Other: Orchard ribbon (ret), vintage brads (ret), library card template from Heather Nichols



Stamps: Apple Blossoms (level 2 hostess set), Teeny Tiny Wishes
Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Brilliant Blue (ret), Real Red, Very Vanilla
DSP: Summer Picnic (ret.)
Ink: Crumb Cake, Real Red, Early Espresso
Punches: Large corner rounder (ret), Spiral Punch
Other: Striped grograin ribbon (ret), playground buttons (ret), scallop envelope die (for pocket), library card template from Heather Nichols

Do you use mostly new products? Mostly old? Does it matter to you?

So, what do you say? Let's be trendsetters and show how the latest and greatest can be combined with last year's latest and greatest to create some fabulous projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment